It’s summertime and many people will take the opportunity to travel – but there’s no reason that means we have to stop working out! While some folks will opt to travel with equipment, as much as I love kettlebells (like A LOT), I’m loath to be “that person” lugging a massive kettlebell through the airport and causing problems. The good news is, with some smart planning and a few good ideas, you can keep working out while traveling with minimum fuss. While many hotels are stepping up with incredibly well equipped workout rooms, they’re often small, cramped and stocked with the most adorable paperweights shaped like kettlebells… the workouts below can be done anywhere — your room, outdoors, the workout room, whereever!With smart planning and a few good ideas, you can keep working out while traveling with minimum fuss! Click To Tweet
Over the years I’ve also created a few custom travel workouts for specific clients, but which may have some ideas for you to adapt and use. I’ve also included some follow along no-equipment Please modify these to suit your level and of course always be safe!
Simple Home Workout Challenge:
Joint Mobility warm up Hip Flexor 1+2 Any other stretches you like
Circuit Goal: 10 rounds
- 10x bodyweight squats, do NOT let tailbone turn under, use abdominals to keep spine straight
- 10x push-ups
- 20 SLOW high knees march in place – focus on balance
- 20x Mountain climbers
Joint Mobility cooldown
TWO Advanced Travel Bodyweight-Only Workouts
Joint mobility warmup and stretches then…
Circuit (3-5 times through depending on time/energy)
- Jump Squats = 20 (make sure knees stay safe, don’t let them shoot out in front, get your rear behind you)
- 20 push-ups (try for one whole set the first time through, but stop when form is not maintained – watch the lower back. Next time through, break it up even if it’s 1 set of 18 and 1 set of 2, etc.)
- 20 Cossack Squats (10 on each side)
- Count to 20 Handstand hold against wall, or frog(crow) stand on the ground if a wall is not available
Abs circuit (2-3 times through):
- 20 alternating “Floor Wipers” (you’re on the floor, your legs are mimicking windshield wipers kinda. Note how shoulders stay on the ground): video below*
- 20 Tuck-ups (chest and knees come up off the ground) Try a few v-ups if you want too (**this video is funny, you’ll see my struggle to balance on my big butt!)
Strange Slo-Mo Challenges
Joint mobility warmup and stretches…
Slo-mo Get-ups – complete sequence at least once:
- Set a timer for 2 minutes, try to do TWO and only TWO Get-ups on the right side during this time. Go slow, balance a shoe or book on the top of your knuckles.
- Take a break, walk around then….
- Set a timer for 2 minutes, try to do TWO and only TWO get-ups on the left side during this time as above.
- Take a break and walk around before beginning the next item in the workout.
Combo Slo-Mo Circuit
(this is a nasty circuit… 2-3 times through unless you’re motivated to do more) Try to make the transitions and movements as slow and controlled as possible. This will make things oddly difficult if you do them correctly:
- Super slow “inchworms” From standing, walk out to a push up position, then “climb” down to an elbow plank. Climb back to push-up position and back down 10 times. End in a straight arm push-up position.
- Walk hands back to a squat position. Stand.
- Do 10 lunges on each side, trying to go as sloooooow as possible
- Super slow, walk the hands (only) back to a crawling position with knees off the ground. When beginning to walk the hands back, be sure to start bending your knees. Crawl back to push-up position 10 times. Be sure feet (toes) stay in the same place.
- Crawl hands back to squat position again, do 10 deck squats – rolling at whatever speed you need to use, but slowing down the portions of the actual squat as much as possible
SLOW ABS… at least twice through
- Do 10 of the slowest lying straight leg raises you can. Aggressively press the lower back into the ground
- 3-5 regular speed “pump stretches” (down dog, up dog)
Exercise Tutorials from the asterisked items above: