Really interesting day – mostly fun even – one of the highlights before class was visiting the really cool no-nonesense studio Leanne Ellington has in Maitland – I may have gotten her hooked on the RKC/HKC style kettlebell swing – we had a blast discussing Primal Move, FMS, and quite honestly geeked out just a heck of a whole lot.
I felt like having a simple class (even though T/Th is usually “advanced”) after all the talk of the power of just good old fashioned kettlebell swings and get ups.
First, a nice thorough Primal Move warm up (or a favorite joint mobility routine). Each participant grabbed a “heavy-ish” kettlebell, and then a kettlebell they could with effort press for reps. We did 3 rounds of the following, all with the strictest of form, everyone is always encouraged to take an active rest break if necessary:
- 30 seconds 2 hand kettlebell swings
- 30 seconds kettlebell military press on the right side
- 30 seconds kettlebell military press on the left side
- 30-40 seconds 1 kettlebell Get Up on the right side
- 30-40 seconds 1 kettlebell Get Up on the left side
- 30 seconds goblet squats
- 30-45 seconds rest
After that and some form discussion, we did a quick 4 minute go:
- 20 seconds 1 hand kettlebell swings right, 10 seconds rest/transition
- 20 seconds 1 hand kettlebell swings left, 10 seconds rest/transition
Some active rest and explanation of the “tuck up” and “hollow position” followed – then you guessed it….
4 minutes total of:
- 20 seconds tuck ups, 10 seconds rest/transition
- 20 seconds hollow position (Kristy calls it dish in the video below), 10 seconds rest/transition
For those of you in class tonight wondering who to blame for inspiring me to include “tuck ups” in that nasty little ab combo – here’s the lady (Kristy Lee Wilson) to blame: