30 Helens Agree: Coleslaw deserves another chance! Check out my attempt at next level coleslaw 3.0 – this is a probiotic side dish destined to go with a green fed burger topped with raw milk cheddar! Feel free to get creative with yours (and tell us about it).
Coleslaw 3.0 Probiotic Veggie Powerhouse
- 1 head of cabbage Organic if possible, medium sized head - approx 3/4lb
- 2 green onions Optional, slice super thin
- 1 t tupelo honey optional, and adjust for personal taste too
- 1 t seasoned salt I use the organic stuff from Frontier - it gives it an old school feel
- 1 black pepper fresh (Or as much as you want)
- 2 T cider vinegar Love Bragg's brand for this
- 1 T olive oil Optional
- 1 pinch sea salt himalayan (to taste)
- 5 oz plain kefir your favorite brand, I like Wallaby for this recipe
- Shred the cabbage and green onions as thinly as possible, place in a bowl and add the rest of the ingredients, mixing and tossing to combine.
- Adjust seasoning to suit your own taste. I find that adding a little dried parsley along with the seasoned salt gets that old school flavor going that will make your Granny proud. Serve immediately, or let the flavors develop in the fridge for 30 minutes for the full vintage flavor effect.
- One of the interesting things about living in Florida is all of the older people around - they can remind you of some of the forgotten total Americana foods that deserve a re-visit (and there's ALWAYS deviled eggs around if they have a party...). They also won't make a yuck face when they find out you like to occasionally eat liver and onions. Yay for retired friends!
- This savory slaw is a fun, accessible meal for all ages, and a way to get some quality probiotics in for those who do not enjoy eating yogurt. It's also a great accompanyment for my blisteringly hot ghost pepper pulled pork recipe.
- 30 Helens Agree... Cole slaw deserves another chance!