As you may have guessed, this flavorful low carb side dish can be made very quickly by using an Instant Pot and an immersion blender (namely my beefy All Clad corded immersion blender). Or if you don’t have those, that’s OK too – it just might take a little longer and may have a less smooth texture. Either way the flavor will be delicious!
Low Carb Sour Cream and Horseradish Cauliflower Mash
- Instant Pot
- Immersion Blender
- 1 head Cauliflower
- 1 Shallot, minced
- 1/2 cup Shredded Parmesan or Whole Foods Shredded 3 Cheese Blend (Fontina, Asiago, Parmesan)
- 1/2 cup Sour cream
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 1-2 tbsp Prepared Horseradish 1 tablespoon gives a little tang, 2 tablespoons a little more of a complex bite.
- Wash and dry cauliflower, and chop into flowerettes
- If using an Instant Pot, place 1 cup of water and the steam trivet in the instant pot, add cauliflower, set it for 0 minutes in Manual mode (this is weird, but the Instant Pot doesn't "count" time until pressure is reached, it cooks during that whole time and is just enough to steam the cauliflower without things getting all mushy)
- If not using an Instant Pot, steam cauliflower by your preferred method
- Mince the shallot
- Regardless of method you've used to steam the cauliflower, remove it from the cooking vessel long enough to remove any excess water. Return the cauliflower to the pot or blending container.
- Add minced shallot, sour cream, shredded cheese, prepared horseradish
- Blend throughly - I like to blend right in the cooking pot with my immersion blender, or blend by your preferred method
- Serve immediately with steak, or salmon and maybe a green vegetable too.