French-ish delicious large snack, unusual breakfast, or share for a side dish
Fennel with Bacon and Egg
- 2 slices bacon organic uncured (I like Applegate Farms Sunday Bacon)
- 1 fennel bulb Thinly Sliced Across the bulb
- 1 egg Fresh, Local, and Free Range if you can
- 1 dash salt I like Himalayan Sea Salt
- 1 dash black pepper Fresh Ground
- Using a large heavy skillet, gently fry the 2 bacon slices until moderately crispy (not overcooked and most of the fat rendered).
- Remove the bacon slices to paper towels to drain, leave the fat and bacon drippings in the pan on medium and add the sliced fennel. If you wish for there to be less fat, you can remove the excess, but leave enough to cook the fennel. Also - put some of the bacon fat into another skillet to cook the eggs.
- Stir every so often so the fennel cooks evenly with some browning in the bacon. While this is happening, crack and cook the eggs to "over medium" or whatever you prefer.
- When the fennel has become translucent and no longer overly crunchy, quickly season to taste with salt and pepper, mix in the crumpled bacon then remove to a plate. Place the eggs on top. YUMMY.