Amazingly tempting treat that will keep you going under extreme circumstances (like the RKC Certification Workshop). These can also help you make friends if you share them.
Chocolate-y Pecan Date Coconut Treats
- 1 c pecans Raw, shelled pecans, loosely packed
- 12 dates I prefer the gloriously gooey Medjool variety
- 3 T cocoa powder I added a little extra for dusting at the end
- 4 T coconut butter Artisana calls it Coconut Butter, Tropical Traditions calls it Coconut Cream Concentrate - its the same thing
- 4 T coconut shredded, unsweetened (Plus extra if you want to roll them in it)
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper Optional - but delicious!
- This recipe absolutely positively requires the use of a food processor. Even if you are using a large and powerful one, I would suggest doing the initial chopping/mixing in batches, this is a thick mixture full of healthy fatty oils. A good strategy is to put all the ingredients into a bowl, mix it by hand, then drop 1/4 of it at a time into your processor - eventually mixing it all together at the end.
- When you have a food processor that is full of this amazing energy-giving paste, its time to get creative - you can form it into little bars, balls, patties etc. Personally I prefer to make little truffle-looking servings. After you have rolled them (quickly, they're MELTY!) into whatever shape you want, dust with cocoa powder, coat with coconut shreds, or squish a pecan half into the top. Store in airtight containers in the refrigerator. For particularly oily batches, I like to put a little "bedding" of shredded coconut mixed with cocoa powder in the bottom of each box.
- I made sure to have a chilled box of these in my backpack EVERYDAY of the RKC weekend - they really kept me going. Other participants and instructors really enjoyed them too - so here is the recipe as promised. Enjoy and please put your own personal spin on them.