Beef Stroganoff, GiryaGirl Style
- 2 lb beef top sirloin (Grassfed or Buffalo is best)
- 3 T coconut oil you can go lighter on this if you wish
- 1 onion large white (Peeled and minced)
- 3 T tomato paste
- 1 T mustard prepared (I recommend Dijon mustard, or German style mustard.)
- 1 cup beef consomme If using condensed, follow instructions to create 1 cup of consomme
- 1 tsp agave nectar Light or dark style, doesn't matter, this is just to balance the sauce
- 2 tsp flour unbleached or whole wheat, this is to thicken the sauce
- 1 cup plain yogurt Choose low fat/fat free plain yogurt OR sour cream
- salt to taste
- black pepper fresh cracked, to taste
- Cut beef into 1/2 inch slices, trimming out connective tissue (can be chewy in finished dish!) if necessary. Also, shorten the slices into bite size pieces - if the slices are too long it gets crowded even in the largest of skillets.
- Take a very large skillet and heat the coconut oil, add the beef slices and brown them until they are no longer red.
- Put the beef pieces aside to rest while you saute the onion in the leftover oil. After the onion has gone clear, add the tomato paste, mustard, consomme, agave nectar, pepper and conservatively add the salt - you can always add more later when everything is complete. Mix these items well in the skillet and bring it to a hard simmer.
- Reduce the heat to low/medium low and cook covered for 10 minutes.
- Add the beef pieces back, making sure they are all covered with the sauce and cook on medium/medium low for another 10 minutes.
- Combine the flour and yogurt then slowly stir this into the skillet items.
- Cook until everything is heated through then serve with steamed broccoli or over spaghetti squash.