Roasted eggplant dip simplified for “make ahead and enjoy later” ease! AKA what to do with that one eggplant the organic food coop included in your basket this week….
Baba Ganoush Simplified
- 1 eggplant medium to large size, any variety
- 2 T tahini Or more... I always use more, I love this stuff
- 1 T lemon juice fresh
- 1 garlic clove fresh (or more if you are a garlic fiend)
- 1 T olive oil the best you can find
- 1 t sea salt Or adjust to your liking
- First, roast the eggplant in a preheated 375 Degree F oven. People wanting to impart an extra toasty flavor may want to grill the outside of the eggplant the night before (if you have coals going after cooking dinner, this would be ideal). For a reasonable sized eggplant the oven-roasting should take about 25 minutes, but you want to make sure that the eggplant is completely cooked through and very very soft.
- Allow it to cool before peeling/scooping all the insides into a food processor (I used a small Cuisinart MiniPrep) or high powered blender.
- Add the chopped garlic, tahini, salt, lemon juice, and half of the olive oil. Process until smooth.
- Serve topped with the rest of the olive oil. Instead of pita bread, I enjoy baba ganoush with thinly sliced cucumber pieces, carrot sticks, celery, as a part of a mediterranean style salad, or rolled up into a collard or lettuce wrap "sandwich." The possibilities are endless!!