It'd been a "Monday" for sure, and a friend of mine was definitely up for a challenge so we headed out to the park a good bit later than originally intended, but that's ok. I'm not opposed to occasionally (or somewhat often) working out somewhat late at night. Hince the silly owl graphic there on the left.
This workout was heavily influenced and inspired by Zach Even-Esh's Encyclopedia of Underground Strength and Conditioning... there was a fair amount of modifcation, but I've found that the structure of his workouts and what I'm aiming for are often very wonderfully aligned. Besides, if you're in a situation where you don't want to (or can't) purchase much or any fitness equipment, then Zach's book is for you. There's a whole chapter on training with ROCKS for goodness sake (I love training with weird stuff like that... and rock stacking is also fun too... but that's for another blog post). That being said it was the kind of night to go tear it up in the park a little bit, and I wanted to work on some specific things too... which will be pretty obvious below:
Here's what we did:
Primal Move warm up and CC2
Then we did a little "I Go You Go" (your workout partner rests while you , then switch!) ladder with a reasonably heavy , but with the idea that each rep must be excellent - 2x
- Person A: 1 military on the right and left
- Person B: 1 military on the right and left
- Person A: 2 military on the right then left
- Person B: 2 military on the right then left
- Person A: 3 military on the right then left
- Person B: 3 military on the right then left
- Person A: 4 military on the right then left
- Person B: 4 military on the right then left
Next - 100swings (rest when needed, choice of 2 hand, 1 hand, mix, whatever the goal was to do 100 swings)
- 30 strict push ups (from the feet, modify if necessary, break up into sets if necessary, but not moving on to the next exercise until total reps completed)
- 20 Pull ups (or if necessary, scale down to 30 rows (Aussie Pull Ups) or low (difficult) rows - this worked well, since I did dead hang pull ups, and my friend opted for the rows on a lower bar alternately you could do this as another I go you go)
- 30 squats, choice of
Finally we wrapped it up with another 100swings using the same rules as above, then another round of the and Primal Move cooldown.
Good times, even in the dark!!!